Main Menu

Bumps zip file

Started by CanadaGoose, March 11, 2010, 10:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebberz

why does it need to be updated constantly?  Just a collection of up till now would be fine :/

what crab was thinking about offering would be perfect...even if he updated once a year or...even never again.  Someone could pick up where he left off.

mongo

Because there are new bumps every week. Something like this might work: http://jdownloader.org/ There are many free managers on Google.
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

crab

The biggest problem right now is that running a BitTorrent tracker or seeding on our server is forbidden.  But all of our bumps are hosted on the server..  so who is going to seed the bumps?  I certainly cannot do so from home on my lame DSL connection, and I don't know anyone who has a lot of bandwidth and a copy of all the bumps so far.

So that leaves us with less desirable options.  We could host a series of ZIP/RAR files with all the bumps, but I hate the idea of duplicating the amount of space we use by bumps on the server.  

Or a really smart person would use a download manager, as mongo suggested  :-P  All our bumps can be downloaded using the following URL structure:

http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/dv/X

where X is the bump number.  Some download managers can do ranges of URLs, so you'd just give it something like http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/dv/[1-3000] to download the first 3000 bumps :p (assuming they are available).

Nebberz

As much as I appreciate the other input, Crab I feel like your the only one who read my posts and understood.

The fact that there would be new bumps every week being a moot point was the whole idea of my last post!

Mongo's suggestion works while implementing your idea Crab, I will try that out. Thank you.

*edit*  I'm not blaming Mongo necessarily for not understanding me, it's probably just as much my fault for not being clear, and I'm a bit frustrated after so much searching!  I hope this idea works! (:

Also, hosting rar's on your site would be a totally lame idea and suck up your bandwidth faster than a....something that sucks fast.  (:  That's too bad you are not allowed to seed on your server, I hadn't heard of that before.  Then again, I'm no network admin either.

mongo

Just trying to help out :-P. There wasn't gonna be a file anyway, wouldn't have been correct to say there would be.
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

Nebberz

and you have!  trying it out now (:

mongo

Really hope it works for you. I've tried the method on some other sites and found it to be a real timesaver! Automates the tiring one-by-one part.

crab

Just so you know, we're having some issues with audio/video downloads at the moment.  You might want to wait until we get it straightened out.

Nebberz

So far it has worked like a charm.  Had a few errors, but I just restarted them.  Amazing advice and will definitely try this out on other sites...last time I used a download manager was in 56k days and it has seemed worthless to me ever since...they sure have come a long way since then!

We're very low income and don't usually donate to sites, but this has been such a service and was such quick help I think we'll have to make an exception.

It's too bad we can't donate directly to you guys though, because I don't think we have a problem with you running off and buying whatever you guys felt like. :P

Would like to at least make up for the extra bandwidth I pulled for grabbing these anyway.  Thanks again, I don't know how active I'll be at this site (so many awesome places on the internet...) but I'll try to visit time and again! (:

crab

Glad to help.  We're having a number of small issues with the new site, but things are starting to come together.

We never ask for donations :-P, but since you mentioned it, you actually can directly donate to us.  Check the footer navigation on any of the non-forum pages for the "donate" link.  It goes straight to our web host, so I can't have any steak dinners with it  :lol:

Nebberz

yea, i did find that link!  I was looking for even more direct means because I have no problem buying you a steak dinner for assisting and helping make all of this possible.  You deserve it!

But I can settle for web host donations I suppose. (:

The updated site looks awesome.  Far sleeker than before imo.  The browse all button is something I wish the internet would learn about...who wants to load up 50 gazillion pages to see 5-10 results each damn time.

Maybe a warning that it might lock up the computer for a bit with all that loading though?  This i7, 5770, 3 gig ddr3 pc choked for a minute after clicking it...but then again, loading around 3000 images and making your pc stumble a bit might be obvious. (;

mongo

I'm really glad to see it has helped :-D Happy bumping! By the way, I know what you feel like; when I first got involved with this site, before there being even a forum, I did the same thing; download every bump at first :-P. Sure, there weren't that many, but those were 56k days, so it still took a bit :lol: As crab said, we don't ask for donations :-P but if you feel like it it's appreciated. I apologize if I came off annoying or something at first, had a bit of a long day and didn't want to spend too much time thinking. Again, I'm really glad it's been working for you and if you need any help feel free to write!