Main Menu

Your Top-Ten Favorite Bumps

Started by mongo, March 24, 2010, 11:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongo

Quote from: Jeff on April 02, 2010, 07:10:53 PM
FYI, to a fellow GitS fan, there are faint rumors that a 3rd GIG is at least being considered.  Was several months ago that I read about it, and I think this (http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0867649/) is where I saw it.  If that were to happen, I'd be one happy individual.

I'd read about that, anxiously waiting for it! I really hope it comes to fruition, GitS is just too great.
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

Beefy

Why must you make me choose only 10?  

10) Kill Your Feet
Ax good, chainsaw better.

9) AcTN Train
One of my top 2 favorite transportation theme bumps.

8) Airplanes
My favorite of the transportation theme bumps.

7) Owls Only
Sounds like kazoos.

6) Es Muy Fuerte
He is very strong.

5) Network Hub
I like this image.  It was my wallpaper for quite some time.

4) //MINATO-KU// TOKYO 12.27 AM
All hail the Tokyo Tower.

3) Picture Shows
Old timey.

2) Venture Bros. Super Science
What has science done?

1) Adult Swim Dance Time
I F-ing love this song!  And the way they match the movements to the beats: awesomesauce!
http://asfdotcom.net/ You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
Why yes, I do miss Futurama.

crab

Quote from: Beefy on April 03, 2010, 09:10:41 PM5) Network Hub
I like this image.  It was my wallpaper for quite some time.

Me too!

crab

Well, I am a HUGE fan of the //Tokyo bumps.  Whenever I think of [adult swim], I think of them and the awesome music they all have.  I could very easily fill my entire top 10 list with those, but I'll try not to.  :p  Most of these bumps are pretty old now.  I like them because they remind me of the "good old days" of [adult swim] when they played more anime and had a better "vision" for their bumps.  Maybe it just boils down to them having a better graphics designer or something, but I just love the art style they used during that time period.  Whenever I think of [adult swim], I think of that time and remember when the bumps used to be GOOD :)  Obviously, I loved these bumps so much that I decided to start a website for them, and here we are today :p

#10.  Venture Bros Super Science
A classic bump all around.  Love the music.

#09.  Super Milk Chan 25c
Am I the only one who misses Super Milk Chan?  :D  大人の楽しみ!

#08.  Cowboy Bebop Sherrif Star
Favorite anime + nice art style.

#07.  Boondocks - You Will Watch
NOW!

#06.  Inuyasha Intro
Awesome artwork and flow in this one.  Very similar to Witch Hunter Robin Intro which I really like as well.

#05.  Come Along Friend
<3 Psyche Origami

#04.  Bear in the Forest ACTN
Love the art style in this series, and the music fits really well.

#03.  //SHINJUKU-KU// TOKYO 07.16 AM
Love the setting.  This one's been my desktop wallpaper for about five years now... :p

#02.  Bear with Chainsaw Film
I love the vibe of this bump.  Again, the music just fits perfectly.

#01.  //SHINJUKU-KU// TOKYO 04.15 PM
I always think of this bump as sort of "defining" [adult swim] for me.  Definitely my favorite of the //Tokyo series.

#00.  //MINATO-KU// TOKYO 12.27 AM
Quote from: Ryan D. on March 29, 2010, 04:29:19 PMIt just doesn't feel like Saturday night anymore without this.
I couldn't agree more.

Honorable Mentions:

//ASAKUSA// TOKYO 06.20 PM
Very chill beat and setting.

Rescue Lion

Samurai Champloo - Fuu
Another favorite anime and dig the music.

Big O Intro
Good music.

Pink Lady
This one used to have different music.  I think it may have been Psyche Origami, but I'm not sure.  I liked that other version better, but this image is classic [adult swim] for me. :)

crab

I wish we had a favorite PROMO thread, so I could list all the GITS and Cowboy Bebop promos  :wink:

And that's why I love http://asfdotcom.net/ because I couldn't find them anywhere else.

Jeff

Quote from: Beefy on April 03, 2010, 09:10:41 PM
9 ) AcTN Train
One of my top 2 favorite transportation theme bumps.

8 ) Airplanes
My favorite of the transportation theme bumps.

Good picks.  I like both of these very much as well.  The Venture Bros. one that also made crab's list I'd never taken much notice of, but after seeing it again, I like it too.

Quote from: crab on April 04, 2010, 05:45:40 AM
#01.  //SHINJUKU-KU// TOKYO 04.15 PM
I always think of this bump as sort of "defining" [adult swim] for me.  Definitely my favorite of the //Tokyo series.

What is it about this one that caught your eye, especially?  If you're able to put it into words.

mongo

Quote from: Beefy on April 03, 2010, 09:10:41 PM
Why must you make me choose only 10? 

I know, it was really hard for me as well :-P.

Man, I miss those tilt-shift AcTN transportation bumps. Really cool stuff, unexpected. Es Muy Fuerte rules, love the setting and the way it watches with the music... and the "strong guy" art :lol:. Picture Shows should've definitely been aired more than a few times. Really different from all the other bumps, the good ol' fiddle track works perfect with the image. Before I knew that it was a library track, I was determined to get a disc for the "Hi Praise" song. It's so hypnotic and strange, always remember that beat, and the image in the bump really goes well with it. And I agree on the Dance Time bump, the matching of the movements and beats is awesomesauce.

Well, I am a HUGE fan of the //Tokyo bumps.  Whenever I think of [adult swim], I think of them and the awesome music they all have.  I could very easily fill my entire top 10 list with those, but I'll try not to.  :p  Most of these bumps are pretty old now.  I like them because they remind me of the "good old days" of [adult swim] when they played more anime and had a better "vision" for their bumps.  Maybe it just boils down to them having a better graphics designer or something, but I just love the art style they used during that time period.  Whenever I think of [adult swim], I think of that time and remember when the bumps used to be GOOD :)  Obviously, I loved these bumps so much that I decided to start a website for them, and here we are today :-p

The older bumps were definitely a lot better. No hate on the new bumps, the guys do a great job, but I agree with what you said about them having a better vision and concept. Oh, and, as Peanut would say... "Master!!" :lol:

I miss the hell out of Milk Chan! One of my favorite [as] shows, usually the one that made my friends go "wtf is wrong with you?" :lol:. Glad I bought the DVDs, still watch it a lot. Cowboy Bebop is a really stellar anime (my 2nd favorite :-D) and that bump definitely did it justice. The Oh No beat is amazing too. Love the Boondocks one too, very different from the actual show but it's just really good. I am really glad those InuYasha and Witch Hunter Robin bumps were posted, I don't remember watching them on TV and they were great. Come Along Friend was one of those bumps I used to replay a million times a while ago, still one of the coolest bumps I've seen! It'd be nice to have a few new scroll bumps, wouldn't it? :-P. Bear in the Forest is awesomesauce! I remember being really excited when I saw that back when I first found BumpWorthy. The photography on the Tokyo series is amazing. I'm pretty sure the Tokyo bumps are what comes to mind when anybody thinks "[adult swim]"; they were really iconic. I really dug the look of Bear with Chainsaw Film and Bull Film Reel. It's just dark and weird, very creative stuff and really memorable. However, Bull with Chainsaw Film has the perfect music for the image. I love Collective Efforts, and this is one of the songs that introduced me to them. Rescue Lion is a really cool bump; great shot and concept and a really nice beat. I think Samurai Champloo is the last great anime I saw on [adult swim] (I really wanted to see Death Note and Moribito, but they murdered Moribito in scheduling and I forgot about Death Note's timeslot since I hadn't been watching [adult swim] in it for quite a while). Banana Clip Vol 3 is one of those albums that I hate being unable to find. I've been searching for a while and always hit a dead end :|. Didn't remember that about the Pink Lady bump, if I find any info I'll update.
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

crab

Quote from: Jeff on April 04, 2010, 09:04:22 AM
#01.  //SHINJUKU-KU// TOKYO 04.15 PM
I always think of this bump as sort of "defining" [adult swim] for me.  Definitely my favorite of the //Tokyo series.

What is it about this one that caught your eye, especially?  If you're able to put it into words.

Haha.. I really can't find the words to describe it.  Chances are, it probably aired right before one of my favorite shows, so I would always associate that particular bump with a really good show, and get that "warm, fuzzy" feeling whenever I saw it.  Does anyone else get that feeling whenever they see a bump or hear a song used on [as]?  After a while you just start to associate the music with certain shows.  It's a pretty cool effect IMO.  I wish I could find bump listings from way back then.  Other than that, I think a lot of it has to do with the choice of image (the color scheme in particular), and the music.  I used to ride around in my car listening to Psyche O all the time.  I was shocked when one day I found out that they were actually coming to play a show here in my tiny little town in Mississippi.  They put on a really awesome show to a crowd of about 40 people.  I was probably the only one in there who knew who they were :)  And I got to meet them after the show and got them to sign their flyer.  They wrote something like "Keep on watchin' adult swim - Psyche Origami" on it.  It's crazy, but I associate all these things with that one song and that one bump.   :-)

Jeff

Quote from: crab on April 04, 2010, 10:47:41 PMHaha.. I really can't find the words to describe it.  Chances are, it probably aired right before one of my favorite shows, so I would always associate that particular bump with a really good show, and get that "warm, fuzzy" feeling whenever I saw it.  Does anyone else get that feeling whenever they see a bump or hear a song used on [as]?  After a while you just start to associate the music with certain shows.  It's a pretty cool effect IMO.  I wish I could find bump listings from way back then.  Other than that, I think a lot of it has to do with the choice of image (the color scheme in particular), and the music.  I used to ride around in my car listening to Psyche O all the time.  I was shocked when one day I found out that they were actually coming to play a show here in my tiny little town in Mississippi.  They put on a really awesome show to a crowd of about 40 people.  I was probably the only one in there who knew who they were :)  And I got to meet them after the show and got them to sign their flyer.  They wrote something like "Keep on watchin' adult swim - Psyche Origami" on it.  It's crazy, but I associate all these things with that one song and that one bump.   :-)

Makes perfect sense to me.

I mentioned I have that same feeling about the particular bump that preceded GitS season 1 the first time I watched it on AS.  In my mind, it's almost natural for the opening theme of the show to just follow along after the end of the bump.  I really fell in love with that show the first time I saw it, and there's definitely a positive association between the bump and the show... almost like it's in a sense part of the show to me.  Hearing the bump in my mind always built anticipation for that opening theme.

It's cool to know that same phenomenon happens with others.  Anyone else?

NumyMufn

*raises hand*

Right there with ya'
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

mongo

Quote from: crab on April 04, 2010, 10:47:41 PM
I used to ride around in my car listening to Psyche O all the time.  I was shocked when one day I found out that they were actually coming to play a show here in my tiny little town in Mississippi.  They put on a really awesome show to a crowd of about 40 people.  I was probably the only one in there who knew who they were :)  And I got to meet them after the show and got them to sign their flyer.  They wrote something like "Keep on watchin' adult swim - Psyche Origami" on it.  It's crazy, but I associate all these things with that one song and that one bump.   :-)

Wow, I would've loved to see that! I came around to getting the Psyche O, Collective Efforts and Minamina Goodsong albums later on, and I really hope I get to see them live (severely doubt that's gonna happen here, but when I can afford it I'd take a trip to watch a good show). I know Minamina split  :cry: but still have hope for Psyche O and CE.

Quote from: Jeff on April 05, 2010, 09:15:25 PM
It's cool to know that same phenomenon happens with others.  Anyone else?
Indeed, same here with me. Fun4Adults and We'd Like to See You Try are clear examples, GITS association as well  :-D. Believe it or not that was the strangest part of watching the show on DVD.

crab

Oh YEAH...! Fun4Adults + GITS = <3
I had almost forgotten.

Oh how I love the GITS opening...  and the promos for it on [as].  Soooo good!