Main Menu

Apostrophes in tags

Started by NumyMufn, May 13, 2009, 11:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NumyMufn

I noticed on the Mother's Day bump that tags with an apostrophe add a slash [mother\'s day] and then they don't work. So I tried replacing it with "mothers day" which is fine but it won't let me delete the "mother\'s day" tag.  :| So, until crab has a chance to look at it I suggest we refrain from using apostrophes in the tags.

Other tags affected:
moore\'s law
pee wee\'s playhouse
scrubby\'s carwash
william\'s street <~ (that one doesn't even belong  :roll: )
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

Jeff

Yeah, a couple of those were mine, sorry (not the Williams Street one, though :wink:).  I alerted Crab via a private message when I was having the same problem you described.

I've run into a couple similar problems not associated with apostrophes -- times where it just won't take a tag when it seems there's no reason it shouldn't.  Not sure how that could be looked into, but even with common words it sometimes just won't accept the tag.  I haven't recognized a pattern, but if I do, I'll report back about that.

Edit:  While I have your ear...  I can't remember if I reported this or not, but at least for me, when I type anything that's been used as a tag into the search bar, it doesn't actually come up in the search.  This may be working as intended, but I just wanted to point it out.  Just type "tagme" into the search bar and you'll see what I mean.

NumyMufn

I've run into both of those problems. In fact I just posted at the ASMB about having to go to the tag cloud if the search isn't fruitful. Whether or not that's how it's supposed to be, only crab knows for sure.
The only word that I can remember doesn't work as a tag was FOOL but I know there were more. Somewhere in my twisted brain I thought they were rejected because they were code commands  :? (I'm out of the lingo loop) I have absolutely nothing to back that up  :lol: it felt plausible so I went with it. I just made sure the words it wouldn't take were somewhere in the description. I know that doesn't help a non-mod though, I guess I should've said something but I really hate to bother him  :|
I guess if there is a list of words we shouldn't expect to be able to use we should post it, eh?

I'm awake.

crab

The search index does not cover tags.  Should it?

I'm hesitant to post the blacklisted tags due to the nature of them, but if you want a copy of it, just PM me.

If you think a word should be allowed, but it's not accepting it, just post it here so I can allow it.  "fool" was indeed on the blacklist.  I removed it. :)

I might get a chance to work on the apostrophes soon... !

Jeff

I think having the search index cover tags would certainly improve the search functionality, but I'm not going to pretend to tell you how to run your site. :-)

I just think, going with the odds, people are more inclined to type words into a search bar than hunt for them in a tag cloud, thus more successful searches which is the idea.  Just my thoughts.

Just asking here, but would there be a reason not to have it to where you can find tag words in the search?

crab

When I was designing the tag system I wanted it to be a separate entity from the search system.  The idea was there is no need to search tags because you already have the tag cloud available on a single page, but I am skeptical at how much the tag cloud is actually used as opposed to the search system, especially since the cloud has become so huge.

So I will make the tags searchable and maybe just do away with the tag cloud page - it looks messy anyway.  How does that sound?

Jeff

I see where you're coming from, that all makes sense.  I think any page with a tag cloud runs into those same issues, but again, that's just one person's opinion.

In terms of pure search functionality, I think having tags be searchable would help.  Your vision for the site and the aesthetics of it are important also, so if you prefer separate search systems, alternatively the cloud could be cleaned up.  I don't think the cloud looks bad as it is, but I would estimate 1/2 to 2/3 of the bumps haven't been tagged yet, so it would probably continue to grow.  I feel a bit bad about causing some of the growth since I've been doing some of the tagging... maybe I haven't had a good enough idea of what you're looking for in a tag.  If you're monitoring and don't like what I'm doing with some of the tags, please let me know.  Just trying to contribute some to a site I've always enjoyed visiting.

Anyhow, with 1300+ bumps and counting, it's probably inevitable that a tag cloud will get quite large, so (again, in one person's humble opinion) I think your solution sounds good and would result in more successful searches.

As always, thanks for your hard work in maintaining this site.

NumyMufn

I don't know how many people are programmed to look for a cloud... I like that it's there though. It makes it easier to clean up redundant tags. Also, if someone isn't finding something with the word they're thinking of they might find a something they hadn't thought of in the cloud that would help.

I'm awake.

Jeff

I agree with you NumyMufn, I've used it a bit to clean up myself.

Alternately, crab, if you feel the cloud is too big, you could separate it alphabetically -- A-M, N-Z, or if it gets too big for that, A-E, F-J, etc.  Just one more thought.

Beefy

http://asfdotcom.net/ You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
Why yes, I do miss Futurama.

crab

PHP indeed.  I think it's fixed now.. hope I didn't break anything else in the process  :-P