Main Menu

Meta Tagging System and Browsing

Started by crab, December 20, 2008, 08:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crab

Site modifications today include a new meta tagging system and new sort & order functions on the browse lists.

You will notice a new "by tag" link under Bumps on the left side of the site.  This link will take you to the current meta tag cloud.

Users registered on the message board are welcome to help us out by tagging bumps, especially those marked as "tagme", which do not have any tag information at all.  Simply open up the bump's page and look for the new "Tags" section beneath the description.  Here you can add new tags (comma separated).  Good tags are those that are not easy to figure out from the bump's name, music info, or description (these can be searched for instead). 

Tags are useful for locating bumps based on limited knowledge of the bump.  We often have people coming to the forums asking "What was that bump with the highway?" or similar.  The tagging system is an attempt to help these people find the answer for themselves.  I ask that you please use the system responsibly and refrain from tags with more than a couple of words - be concise!  We appreciate your help.

The second new feature is the ability to sort bumps by name and date added to the site.  Furthermore, you can order them ascending or descending - just click the "name" or "date added" link again to toggle the order.  If you have any more sort suggestions, please let me know.

Please report any problems to the message boards by leaving a comment to this post or in the Website & Upload Issues forum.

NumyMufn

:-o :-o :-o :-o

*does happy dance*

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Awesome! Nicely done  :mrgreen:
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

crab

UPDATE:  Tags are now sorted alphabetically

terrorist96

How long does it take for the tags to work? I tagged my bump ( http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/523 ) and when I do a search for some of the tags, nothing comes up.

EDIT: Also, if you submit a tag for a video, then you can't delete it. Is that on purpose?

terrorist96

Haha, I don't know if I'm doing this right  :? :-P

mongo

I don't know about the search, but the tags themselves are added instantly. It could maybe take a bit. Once it's tagged, if you want to erase a tag, click the red x right next to it. Thanks for your help!!!
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

crab

There is no search for tags.  You see them by clicking "by tags" on the left.

Only moderators here can delete tags...  if you mess up, you'll need to tell someone

terrorist96

Oh word. Would it be possible to have it so that you can delete the tags you submit? I see why you wouldn't want anyone to delete any tag. But what about this idea?

crab

I'll probably do it at some point, but it might be a while

crab

Ok.. I'm about to set it so you can delete your own tags.  Main site going down for a few minutes while I merge the changes...

crab

Laughingboy69

You might also want to mention the store, unless someone else has done so already.

... I thought it was important...
I do Let's Plays now.

Jeff

I'd be happy to help out by adding some, if you could give me an idea of what exactly you're looking for in a good tag.

If we could take, for example, this bump: http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/1325

I would think good identification tags to add, for people to find the bump using the search bar, would be things like "charles" "horn" and "corpulent" ... but those don't seem very "meta" to me.  Are these the kinds of things you'd want?  The tag cloud would get enormous... but people using the search bar would be able to locate the bumps easier.

If you could give me a model or two, I could go to town.