Main Menu

Nintendo DS re-design

Started by Qman1, January 30, 2006, 09:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qman1

(Courtesy of www.1up.com)

Nintendo Unveils DS Redesign
Smaller, more compact, and hitting Japan March 2nd.
by John Ricciardi, 01/26/2006

Nintendo today announced a newly-redesigned version of their DS handheld in Japan, confirming rumors that have been floating around the internet for the past few weeks. The "Nintendo DS Lite" features a smaller case design than the original DS and a higher-quality screen with four brightness settings. According to Nintendo, the name "Lite" is a play on words meant to emphasize both the system's lightweight design (it's about two ounces lighter than the previous DS) as well as its lighter, brighter screen.
We contacted Nintendo for further information and were able to confirm a few extra bits of info beyond what was issued in the release. For starters, the new DS Lite will continue to play Game Boy Advance games as well; some users have already expressed concern that the GBA slot might have been removed from the new design in order to save money, but we can confirm that this is not the case. In addition, Nintendo is planning to launch the system in three different colors in Japan, though the actual colors have yet to be determined. The only image released thus far shows a white DS Lite, but Nintendo hasn't yet decided if that will be one of the final choices come launch day. Furthermore, while the physical size of the new DS is smaller (133.0 x 73.9 x 31.5mm -- the old DS was 148.7 x 84.7 x 28.9mm), the actual screen itself will remain identical in size to that of the original. And finally, those of you with giant man-hands can rest easy, as the original DS will continue to be sold alongside the new Lite version (at least in Japan).

The DS Lite will be released in Japan on March 2, 2006, and will retail for 16,800 yen (approximately $145 at the current exchange rate).

http://www.1up.com/media?id=2651923
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2651921
http://www.1up.com/media?id=2651922_____________________________________________________________

I think its for the better. What black did for the PSP, white will do it for the redesign of the DS.
It looks much better.

What do you think?

mongo

aww my thread got deleted  :(  lol. Dunno, I've never taken time really with the DS', only played with it a few times... slightly awkward. The redesign looks really cool though... maybe this time I'll get into it (if it ever makes it to the US).
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

Qman1

Quote from: mongoaww my thread got deleted  :(  lol. Dunno, I've never taken time really with the DS', only played with it a few times... slightly awkward. The redesign looks really cool though... maybe this time I'll get into it (if it ever makes it to the US).

I know it must suck for little kids who just got a DS this past christmas and now there has been a redesign....feels like a waste of their parents money...

daventurebro

i own a DS and a PSP. I carry my psp more cuz everyone thinks the DS looks kiddie  even though its great. This new re design is a gr8 idea but Nintendo should of made it look cool from the start
my site is no longer WadeDomination.com its BackOftheWeb.com
____________________im also known as Bigkajamma _____________________________

mongo

Quote from: QmanI know it must suck for little kids who just got a DS this past christmas and now there has been a redesign....feels like a waste of their parents money...

Boy, should it ever! It's sad when companies do this. It's quite obvious that this is the case with that new micro GBA thing, it's pretty useless if you already have an SP, and it looks more uncomfortable. At least the new DS looks really cool, but still, it sucks for everyone that bought one already, especially recently.

Quote from: daventurebroi own a DS and a PSP. I carry my psp more cuz everyone thinks the DS looks kiddie even though its great. This new re design is a gr8 idea but Nintendo should of made it look cool from the start

Yeah, I think if Nintendo had come out with the new design from the beginning they would've have had a lot better luck with it. Btw, I played the DS Advance Wars yesterday and it really is amazing, a hell of a great game!
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong