Main Menu

Nostalgia?

Started by SmokieTheKlown, March 27, 2016, 01:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokieTheKlown

Here lately I've found myself feeling nostalgic over a lot of the old [as] bumps (Mainly the AcTN bumps) and I was wondering what some of you peeps find nostalgic from [as]? Also, Am I the only one feeling old because this channel is easily 15 years old now?
The most self aware network since 2001

smooooth

I definitely agree. Of course I love the atmosphere and brand that is [as] (as well as the programming), but nostalgia is a main reason I've been spending so much of my free time watching bumps. A large part of my childhood and early teen years was spent staying up and watching adult swim. Things like the b&w text cards and shows like ATHF and the Boondocks especially take me back to a simpler time in my life. I don't feel old, because 1) I was just a kid back then, 2) 10-15 years ago wasn't very long ago, and 3) [as] hasn't changed much over the years. Despite this, I know you probably aren't the only that feels old. I am kind of mad that I slept through [as]'s 15th anniversary night, although I heard they didn't do much for the occasion. Sorry for the long/late response to this post, I just had to, (and plus, I'm new to these forums).

Btw, if you like AcTN and want more nostalgia, you should check out Public Pool; they're awesome. Tell them Swoop sent you.

atombomb horse

Last night they did have an old Labor Day bump that showed a group of people sitting at a desk and it said Get back to work at the bottom.  They also released some new video bumps to replace the ones from the summer and one has an old ADULT SWIM red pool era logo on a wall.  Home Movies is also on at 4am instead of those crappy infomercials and Off the Air.
Xtreme Bump Master 5000

smooooth

Quote from: atombomb horse on September 06, 2016, 09:30:39 AM
Last night they did have an old Labor Day bump that showed a group of people sitting at a desk and it said Get back to work at the bottom.  They also released some new video bumps to replace the ones from the summer and one has an old ADULT SWIM red pool era logo on a wall.  Home Movies is also on at 4am instead of those crappy infomercials and Off the Air.

That sounds awesome. I've been missing so much recently

atombomb horse

Those i mentioned earlier were labor day bumps only.  On Tuesday they had new Fall themed bumps.  I like these video bumps which change every few months since 2014, they remind me of the pre 2009 bumps.  I remember when AS first started at 8pm and seen the new disclaimer and wondered if AS changed but then I was watching KoTH and I saw new bumps that were pictures and thought the old AS style is coming back. Much better than the 2011 - 2014 weird "Off the Air" and "promo" style, Granny PC, Clown Kids, Flips Tips, Owl Mask, etc bumps which some still ran til the end of 2014 at 4am.  It sucks that Bumpworthy hasn't been updated since 2014 though with some of the newer bumps.  It sucks that I only recorded throughout April - May 2014 though which all those bumps are on bumpworthy I think. 
Xtreme Bump Master 5000

atombomb horse

Though I really miss the AcTN bumps when AS had weekday anime.  I still get mad that I taped over an episode of FLCL I recorded Feb 2008 which had the AcTN Elevator, Clouds Over Williams Street, and We'd Like To See You Try bumps.  I got so mad when I woke up one day and seen Harvey Birdman and Home Movies on a weekday when they took off AcTN on weekdays cause ratings.  Then I couldn't re-record FLCL or Eureka 7 which had those bumps. 
Xtreme Bump Master 5000

smooooth

Quote from: atombomb horse on September 08, 2016, 08:55:48 AM
On Tuesday they had new Fall themed bumps.  I like these video bumps which change every few months since 2014, they remind me of the pre 2009 bumps.  I remember when AS first started at 8pm and seen the new disclaimer and wondered if AS changed but then I was watching KoTH and I saw new bumps that were pictures and thought the old AS style is coming back.
Exactly man. I like the new bumps because they remind me of the old old ones but with a little modern twist on it. Not completely new and different (which is good) but still fresh (which is also good). Of course they'll never be as good as the early 2000s ones we all know and love, but they aren't horrible per se. Also, while I do like the use of nature videos, I do wish they would have more weird, gritty, "suburbany" (probably not the right word to use but you get what I mean) clips/locations like in White Barnish, or Something Awesome, or Traffic. The nature timelapses are nice but don't have the same old school Adult Swim atmosphere.

atombomb horse

Well, the 2014 bumps were sort of like that.  There were bumps of streets, train stations, highways, etc.  But nothing would be the same.  Now that i think about it, 2014 wasn't the first time they used videos of streets, that credit goes to the 2004 anime bumps that usually said "insert show name" will be back, etc.  Though I never seen them.  The first thing I ever saw on adult swim was actually Gigantor in 2005 only cause I got up a little too early for school.  I even thought the TV was broken cause it was black and white until the commercials came on and Making your Future was the first bump I saw.  I started regularly watching Gigantor only because it was the only kid show on at that time and liked it.  I wondered why the bump was Now in lush color cause the show didnt have color.  Sometime thoughout 2006 I saw Fun4Adults, Collectives, Clouds Over Williams Street, and We'd Like To See You Try regularly at 5am and wondered why they are Japanese.  They regularly gave them until 2007 and I randomly typed "adult swim commercial" on youtube and eventually found them called bumps, then in Dec 2007 I seen this site.  Of course at that time they still gave the good bumps, I even remember the bump schedule used at the time, I always liked the art on them.  I never really cared for text bumps or watched Sunday adult swim except at 5am Your pathway, against it, you can be happy, open up, something awesome, as is your friend. 
Xtreme Bump Master 5000

smooooth

Awesome and relatable story. Mine was kind of similar. It was around 2005 and all I used to watch was Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. One night I woke up in the middle of the night and realized I had left my TV on. I was really confused when I saw that Family Guy was on (I had seen it before, and kind of liked it, but didn't get some of the jokes at that time, for obvious reasons). The "commercials" fascinated me too. The bumps weren't something I was really used to, and the b&w cards were even more weird to me, because it was like my tv was talking to me. The next day I thought it was just a weird dream or something and just brushed it off. This would keep happening to me for months and months until eventually I started liking this strange adult channel and I eventually started staying up to watch it (which my parents hated). I started really liking shows like the Boondocks and ATHF and One Piece. Eventually [as] became a regular thing for me and I would stay up all the time for it. Around 2009 to 2011 I didn't watch that much [as], but then in I think 2012 I saw a video of an "adult swim bump" and it seemed really familiar. After watching more (and really liking the music), I started to miss adult swim and would watch those bump videos for hours. I started watching adult swim again (definitely not as much as I used to before, a lot of King of the Hill). And eventually I went back to not watching that much TV in general (when I did it was mostly TBS and Adult Swim), until I guess 2015, when I saw this long playlist full of adult swim bump videos, and I was filled with extreme nostalgia. I looked in other places for more information on bumps and found this site, bookmarked it, and visited every once in a while. This summer was when I found allkidsoutofthepool.com and wanted to reach out to other Adult Swim lovers, which is why I made this account here in the forums. I wish it was more active though, cause from the posts I can tell the people here are/were really dedicated and knew/know their stuff.

I'm also really mad that I never taped any [as] broadcasts back then, because I guess I thought it would be the same forever, and didn't think I would be getting nostalgia for it years later, wanting more. Now the only things I have to go by is memory, this site, and other stuff I dig up on the web :-(.

atombomb horse

Throughout 2010 I didn't watch much [as] or Cartoon Network for that matter as the shows that were coming out and decisions they made were getting worse to me.  I mostly watched Nick at Nite every night from late 2009 through early 2011, mostly because I shared a room with my brother who was too young for [as] at the time and my parents (mainly my mom, my dad didn't care too much) didn't like him watching it.  I would occasionally put [as] on for Family Guy or King of The Hill, maybe Home Movies which usually aired at 5 AM while I was getting ready for school but I only watched [as] a few times throughout that time frame.  It wasn't until the summer of 2011 when I started regularly watching every night.  Then I realized the bumps were really weird and cringeworthy.  I mean the Old lady on the computer, weird poorly made CGI, Stock Footage, Old man partying in underwear, etc.  I actually didn't think they were bumps at first, I thought they were part of the promos or something.  The ones I did like were the Flip's Tip's, People with Owl Masks, the ones with the Adult Swim Singers, Animated Logo bumps, and Mecha Cat bumps.  What I never really cared for was much of the Live Action stuff like Children's Hospital, Eagleheart, NTSF, and Delocated.  I liked Tim and Eric but not at first.  Thank god that now it's not much Live Action except on Fridays.  Honestly though I think they over do it with the FOX stuff which I do enjoy but I've seen pretty much every old Family Guy, King of The Hill, Cleveland Show, etc.  I also don't like their repeat schedule with how weird it is.  Back then it was good, the first run, then an exact repeat of the second run, then (depending on what time it started), there was the 5:30 AM Old Show.  If I missed something in the first run I can watch it in the second but now they don't repeat certain shows.  Also the bumps airing at random times I don't like much either.  I always liked the set order from 2005-2009.  Then you knew what bumps were coming on. 
Xtreme Bump Master 5000

smooooth

My exact sentiments. Theres been too much McFarlane recently. Don't get me wrong, I used to really like Family Guy and American Dad, but its on sooooo much, and I've been watching it for so long. I never got into the live action shows either. I guess I can tolerate Children's Hospital, and Loiter Squad was alright overall, but live action on Adult Swim has never been something I was too big on. Eric Andre and Tim and Eric are pretty good also IMO. I mean, Adult Swim is still young, so this is just a phase. They experiment a lot and I'm grateful for it honestly.

atombomb horse

If only I sat through Loiter Squad on March 31, 2012 I could have saw the Toonami April Fools Day.  I remember I hated Loiter Squad when I first saw it and turned it off to play games.  Loiter Squad grew on me after about a year.  In my opinion, Toonami would have to be the best April Fools they ever did, giving old shows.  That reminds me of Cartoon Network 2009 April Fools where they gave Cow and Chicken all day but showed the Chowder intro each time.  I always saw the crappy or lackluster april fools day pranks like The Room (2009), Cat Heads (2013), Fish Center (2015), and no prank (2016).  I did see part of the Space Ghost marathon in 2014. 
Xtreme Bump Master 5000

NumyMufn

Quote from: atombomb horse on September 14, 2016, 07:31:37 PM
If only I sat through Loiter Squad on March 31, 2012 I could have saw the Toonami April Fools Day.  I remember I hated Loiter Squad when I first saw it and turned it off to play games.

Ouch  :-o

That was a very long, very "SQUEEE!!!" worthy night  :mrgreen:

I'm pretty annoyed that I don't have the 2004 stunt recorded. I have EVERY night of the week leading up to it, but not that one :( (I think it was Shark vs. Croc week)
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.