Main Menu

Adult Swim losing 8PM?

Started by Daikun, November 08, 2013, 04:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Well, this is a bit of a surprise.

QuoteAccording to the backdoor schedule, starting November 11, Regular Show and Adventure Time will air every night from 9pm and Adult Swim will start at 10pm. Jason DeMarco was asked about this on his Ask.fm and he said:
QuoteThat's above my pay grade, sorry. I know we'll be back at 10 after the new year.

EDIT: JDM made a typo. This retraction will only last till January.

NumyMufn

That IS a surprise... I can't wait to see some of the crying going on at the ASMB  :roll: Those are two shows I certainly wouldn't mind seeing, unfortunately I don't get control of the TV until that hour is over.
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

mongo

The mere fact that they did this move even temporarily suggests it isn't panning out exactly as expected. I don't mind 9PM personally but I never quite understood there was a need for it, and have seen it filled kind of haphazardly (although it used to mean a bunch of King of the Hill, which was awesome for me :-D). Doing this in TV strategy usually means that while It isn't losing money or anything (otherwise it would've been gone a while ago) it isn't adding much either, not enough to think the Holiday ratings will be any better with [as] at 9pm. Thankfully [as] and CN are pretty much the same people so I think they'll make good on returning the slot at the new year unless there's a huge amount of support for CN there, but they seem to at least be mulling over the possibility. I'm not entirely surprised but even if it does get pulled, I don't think it'll be anything more than a minor shift in [as]. As Sketch posted over on ToonZone (thanks for the link, Daikun!) it might just be an advertising thing; Holidays mean more toy and family movie ads, which fit CN better, and the rest of the time seems like a good fit for automobile and PG-13/R movie ads well suited for the Swim. At any rate, I think CN could use the slot more creatively, but [as] does have a nice thing going on with KotH and Cleveland as some sort of "comfort food" programming. I for one am pretty sure I'll see myself catching some Regular Show while it's on, the same way I sometimes stop by for some KotH or Cleveland. I'm not entirely bothered by any direction chosen later on, thankfully the programming chosen is appropriate on both cases.
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

Daikun

Update time.

Not only are they permanently keeping 9PM, but they're expanding to 8PM as well.

mongo

...wow. And here I was thinking 9pm was too early  :lol: I don't know, it's a bit too much for my taste, unless they absorb some CN programming that could fit in like Regular Show.
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

ACTN

Wow! Tbh, 8 PM sounds too early, I don't know why. I don't see what AS could air at 8 PM? Possibly extra Fam Guy/Amer Dad/Clev Show?
http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/138

"Kickback! Kickback! Hey, pull in.
Betty, hook up! Betty, Betty, Betty, Betty!
Foot to Neck! Look where you are!
2, 3, 4, 5, 6, straight leg!
Scull, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
Scull, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Beefy

HARUMPH!
Adult Swim was already too long starting at 9PM.  8PM is even worse.
We better get some new bumps out of this.  The current batch is getting stale.
http://asfdotcom.net/ You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
Why yes, I do miss Futurama.

Beefy

Quote from: Beefy on February 04, 2014, 02:09:55 PM
We better get some new bumps out of this.  The current batch is getting stale.

And we are!
Make sure to have those DVRs recording an hour earlier Monday night.  Plus there will be the annual April Fools shenanigans that night.
http://asfdotcom.net/ You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
Why yes, I do miss Futurama.