Main Menu

I have a mystery

Started by NumyMufn, March 29, 2013, 01:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NumyMufn

Someone at the ASMB has made a request, it may or may not have been an actual bump but if anyone remembers anything like this I'd appreciate the help :)

"Weird, creepy bump from past memory. [ Edited ]
‎03-28-2013 10:56 PM - edited ‎03-28-2013 10:57 PM

No, this isn't that creepypasta about The Dawn is Your Enemy or whatever, though it did remind me of this.

There's a particular bump that I think I caught the tail-end of one very late night that filled me with a sense of dread.  It never aired again and nothing even resembling it showed up.  It was just literally just an inexplicable, random thing that sticks out from several years ago.  Not sure of the exact amount of time.  I wanna say anywhere from 2005 to 2008?

The entire bump was in monochrome and it was basically shot from a camera perspective of moving through a weird, dillapidated hallway.  The entire time there was an odd distorted humming in the background as well as really faint wind. 

Then it came to a door with, if I'm remembering right, a number on it - I think it might have been "2021" which made me think it was a weird avant-garde ad for Sealab (which I believe was not actually airing then) but I'm actually not 100% sure if I'm remembering it right.

When it finally got to the door, a slow voice belonging to what sounded like an angry older woman called out "GET.  OUT."   The pause between the words seemed unnatural and there was something strange about the delivery that I can't put my finger on.  It almost sounded like it was half spoken through an artificial voice-box. 

Then it cut to black and that's what I remember. 

Just really weirded me out.  I'm not sure how much I'm inventing from the parts that creeped me out since the time I saw it, so some of this may be inaccurate.  The door itself, the black and white, and the "GET. OUT." are definite, though."
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

Jeff

Nothing is immediately jumping to my mind I'm afraid, but the part about it only airing once seems a possible lead.  Has that happened in a certain context before, where bumps are aired only once?

To me, a one-off bump seems like it would have been attached to an event.  Like those weird April Fools Day gags, or a Halloween event (has AS done these?), or a movie marathon night or something.  Does the person remember around what time of year this may have been shown?  Maybe asking what day of the week they may have been watching or what shows they were watching at the time could be a clue too.

Just something to stimulate thinking/discussion.

NumyMufn

You sound like me  :-D

Here's what I've spit out so far, and I'm a bit embarrassed to link this cuz it's one of the worst cases of brain-ramble I've ever posted:
http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Bumps/Weird-creepy-bump-from-past-memory/m-p/67644677#M53029

His response makes me wonder if he's really committed to finding it. I'm amazed at the people who... I don't know how to put this... give up after one pass? I'm suddenly more obsessed than the requester when that happens  :roll:

And yes, one time bumps happen more than you might think. Event type things, sure, all the time... but I was just looking at (posted text) of a non-event one I've never seen myself... and I've known about it since the night it happened. June 1, 2008 - it was a viewer card rebuttal to this Patton bump: http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/325
It only aired during the first run that Sunday, never to be seen again. At the time I was recording the second run to DVD but had a backup VHS for the first run. Unfortunately I wasn't home that night to make sure it started - it didn't :( Still makes me crazy.

I'm awake.

NumyMufn

I dug up the night they aired 'Kakurenbo' for Halloween... so cool to watch 2005 stuff  :mrgreen:
but I'm disappointed they didn't do special bumps for it.  :-P

I'm awake.

Jeff

Looks like the thread has slowed, you may be right about not being too committed to finding it.

I tried a few of the things you probably did.  Searched several tags/keywords here and didn't find anything remotely matching the description.  Quickly looked around youtube and did a few Google searches, and no leads.  Will probably just have to file this one in the unlikely-to-be-solved-curiosities bin and be happy at that.

Thanks for the discussion about one-off bumps, I guess it does happen more than I'd expect.  Too bad about the 2008 one--I think I may actually have some VHS recordings from around that time, but just Saturdays, no Sundays.