Main Menu

HTML5: Video not properly encoded

Started by crab, March 18, 2013, 01:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crab

Are you getting this error?  Trying to track down the cause and see about getting it fixed.

What is your browser and version?  Does it work in other browsers?  Which bump were you trying to watch?

Please post below to help solve this issue.

ChemicalBoogaloo

Got milk? Then you are a human and must be killed!

Daikun

Bumps don't seem to play well in Firefox (Windows XP, version 19.0.2). The audio is fine, but the video is laggy and plays like a slideshow. As a last resort, I tend to switch to IETab so the bumps can play fluidly.

This routine used to work fine with the old version of the site, but now that we're using these HTML5 encodes, even that doesn't work. The player is too large and the videos look horribly pixelated. The same thing happens if I actually switch to the IE browser.

Thankfully, there is a fix. If you install Google Chrome Frame, the bumps play on IE just fine without issues. I'm not sure how we can get them working in Firefox, though.

EDIT: I just tried the GCF beta for Firefox. Eh... It's a little better. Not much, though.

NumyMufn

Quote from: Daikun on March 19, 2013, 04:33:21 AM
the videos look horribly pixelated.
I'm curious which bumps this applies to, since it may be related to the source vid rather than the player. In some cases it may be akin to plugging in your old NES to an HDTV - not pretty.
I don't know where it fits in the priority list at the moment but there are a few bumps we may want to try to remaster since our limitations have changed. This one comes to mind: http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/3757
That was a major feat just to get uploaded back then, we might be able to improve on that. A more recent but similar example: http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/5760 - it's not nearly as bad but still pixelated. I don't know anything about the source on that one but we may want to discuss... well... basically, how much quality we can afford.

Just out of curiosity, how does this one look to you? http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/6056
(this one may not be permanent, I just switched it live for this)

ASIDE from that  :roll: I have noticed the both FF (19.0.2) and IE8 are stretching the SD video to fit the HD box. Chrome (25) plays them at the proper aspect ratio. IE8 does bring up a huge player, which is centered unlike FF & Chrome, and the comment system won't load. IE8 also won't do a true 'full screen'

My Android (2.3.4) likes the new layout a lot (except for the login screen) but it won't play any video... no error message, just a perpetual 'loading' symbol.
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

Daikun

Quote from: NumyMufn on March 19, 2013, 01:19:19 PM
Quote from: Daikun on March 19, 2013, 04:33:21 AM
the videos look horribly pixelated.
I'm curious which bumps this applies to, since it may be related to the source vid rather than the player.

This one.

QuoteJust out of curiosity, how does this one look to you? http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/6056
(this one may not be permanent, I just switched it live for this)

In IE, it plays fine. (Then again, I have GCF installed on it, so I'm not sure how it would look when turned off.)

In Firefox, it's still kinda laggy. With the IETab rendering, it looks awful.

QuoteIE8 does bring up a huge player, which is centered unlike FF & Chrome, and the comment system won't load. IE8 also won't do a true 'full screen'

This is why I suggested using GCF in that post. It fixes the aspect ratio and the comment system. (Fullscreen still doesn't work, though.)

crab

Hi everyone.  Thanks for your input!

I switched the video player back to Flash.  Does that solve any of your problems?   :lol:

Daikun

Quote from: crab on March 25, 2013, 05:44:50 PMI switched the video player back to Flash.

You did? :-o It's still playing HTML5 for me.

crab

Quote from: Daikun on March 25, 2013, 08:44:06 PM
Quote from: crab on March 25, 2013, 05:44:50 PMI switched the video player back to Flash.

You did? :-o It's still playing HTML5 for me.

Hmm.. I suspect it's a cache issue.   :?

Daikun

Google has discontinued Chrome Frame. I just received the notice today when I opened the site in IE.

It used to be my simple workaround for the site's problems, but now that it's gone, I have to deal with glitchy videos again.

Please help!

Daikun

NumyMufn

Again, this is not my area of expertise, but I'm not seeing any problems on my end  :| Perhaps you could restate what exactly is going on with your playback at the moment. The HTML5 was put on the back burner for the time being, as crab is currently preoccupied with another endeavor, so I don't understand why performance didn't revert to it's previous state when the Flash was reinstated. Crab suspected a cache issue, did you try clearing it?

I'm awake.

Daikun

Clearing the cache does nothing. Bumps play like a slideshow. It's like I can only see one frame every five seconds.

Here's a sample bump if you need one.

I'm using Firefox version 22.

NumyMufn

I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I think I managed to replicate what you're seeing... however it took hopping on a nearly 13 year old computer to do it. Might you be dealing with challenged hardware? ...or possibly some mysterious incompatibility with your graphic hardware/software? This is waaay out of my area... do you happen to know the specs on your machine? Not so much for me but maybe one of the guys knows better what may be going on  :|

I'm awake.

Beefy

As of Firefox 21: H.264 and MP3 support is enabled on Windows 7 and Windows 8. 
To get around having to pay licensing fees, Firefox passes the video to Windows' built-in decoders (when Flash Player is not installed.)

I was able to successfully play a video on this site using my computer with Windows 7 and no Flash Player on Firefox 22.  My old Radeon 3850 played back the video smoothly. 

If you're using Intel integrated graphics before HD 2000 (Sandy Bridge) then the video might not play smoothly.
http://asfdotcom.net/ You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
Why yes, I do miss Futurama.

Daikun