Main Menu

SOPA

Started by mongo, January 19, 2012, 10:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongo

Hi! Your friendly BumpWorthy staff is here to bring you a message. If you visited our website on January 18th you must've noticed that we joined the SOPA/PIPA blackout. Like many other sites, we joined not because we don't oppose piracy (quite the contrary), but because there are many problems with the law itself. Chief among the issues with SOPA/PIPA is that their wording right now is so broad, it would effectively enable Internet censorship. That's fatal for pretty much every website considering the web's nature, but especially harmful to a site like ours that depends on media content, however obscure and non-commercial it may be. It's for this very reason that we encourage our readers to please inform yourselves (really, there are many sources to do so, ranging from the ultra simple to the complex) and complain about the current incarnations of SOPA/PIPA to the appropriate representatives, whether you're in the USA (where you could contact your Congressmen and Senators) or not (it'd affect you anyway). Please take some time to educate yourselves and contact the appropriate parties. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

"Without user content portals like NewGrounds and YouTube, the Internet becomes just another mainstream media outlet, instead of the wild proving ground of ideas that allows regular people like us to find a large audience." - Explosm
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

EternalCorpseGod

There are many different nations trying to enact similar laws.
It will never go through and they will never stop.