Main Menu

Cant find a bump stuck in my head

Started by Fraden, June 05, 2012, 10:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fraden

I know it was once a bump on Adult Swim, but is was way back when I was in higschool, probably '07-08' ish or even before. I'll try to describe it as best I can.

I remember it always being bumped without an image, it was only bumped when adult swim was responding to fan e-mail (the classic black screen white text).

The song was just the beat of the song not the words and for the life of me I can't remember the words either.

I remember it being somewhere between 82-92 bpm (a slow paced beat) and it had a ukulele/guitar play during it in a minor key. This instrument would play 12 notes the first bar, then 6 the next two and repeat. It had also a bass in the background and a drum beat. It was definitely hip-hop song (I dont remember but I think it may have been MosDef or someone like Nujabes or J-Dilla).

It was definitely a very relaxed song and the rapper rapped with the melody of the instrument I mentioned above. Hopefully you guys can help me find what I am looking for. Thanks!

P.S. : I may have figured out the notes that the instrument played but I am not sure just ask me to post it up if you think that would help.

mongo

Whatever helps is welcome, althought I think the song could be "Wylin' Out (Kut Masta Kurt Remix)" by Mos Def and Diverse. Info here http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/236 ?
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

Fraden

That songs a little too fast like I said I'm sure the bpm is 82-92. Sounding out in my head I get to 88 bpm and I'm almost certain is uses key of G and uses the 3rd scale in G (starts on B) on the g-string for guitar. I'm trying to figure out the note sequence right now. I can hear the song perfectly in my head though.

I've tried it on guitar but it 2 really high pitched string instruments of some sort playing at the same time (or it at least sounds like that)

mongo

I tap out :-P I'm pretty sure it isn't Nujabes, since [as] doesn't have the rights to his stuff.
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

Fraden

Dang dude well thanks for trying though. I thought it may have been J-Dilla but it wasn't any of the ones I was lookin for.

mongo

Sorry I couldn't help that much :| I can't really remember a Dilla song that features guitars too prominently, same with Madlib, Flying Lotus and El-P. Blockhead sounds like a more plausible option, although is work is mostly instrumental. I'll dig around and see if I can find something. If the song had vocals that narrows it down a bit.

mongo

Found one that has guitar and vocals, although it's faster. How about "Are You Ready?" by Collective Efforts?

NumyMufn

Are you accepting 'piano' as a stringed instrument?  :roll:

Sorry, I just walked over to the piano and played a Gm chord with my left hand and a G minor scale with my right. After an excruciating 30 seconds I decided I was hearing "Mash" by J Dilla.  :lol:

Honestly, I'm having a hard time shaking the sitar tracks that started playing in my head once 'Wylin' Out' came up. Most of them are library, though  :| except for a current one that wouldn't have existed in the time frame you suggested.

If you could come up with some notes, close counts  :wink: we just need a memory-jogger, not a perfect rendition.
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

Fraden

Quote from: NumyMufn on June 06, 2012, 12:26:22 AM
Are you accepting 'piano' as a stringed instrument?  :roll:

Sorry, I just walked over to the piano and played a Gm chord with my left hand and a G minor scale with my right. After an excruciating 30 seconds I decided I was hearing "Mash" by J Dilla.  :lol:

Honestly, I'm having a hard time shaking the sitar tracks that started playing in my head once 'Wylin' Out' came up. Most of them are library, though  :| except for a current one that wouldn't have existed in the time frame you suggested.

If you could come up with some notes, close counts  :wink: we just need a memory-jogger, not a perfect rendition.

It's not that song but the notes are similiar. It's not a piano though I'm still trying to figure out exactly what notes to use.

It may be this: F  Gb  F     E   A   B   Gb   F   F    B     D   E
                       1  e  and   a   2   e  and  a   3  and   a   4

Still figuring out the other measures but I'm sure that's close to right so far

It sounds like what's in my head, but it may just be that's the line the notes play in but might not be the right key. Hope that helps! Thanks for all the help!

NumyMufn

I love how you did that  :-D unfortunately nothing has hit me yet but I'm letting it stew...

There's a lot wrong with this track but the notes brought it to mind. "Invigorate (A Prefuse/Dabrye Interlude)" by Prefuse 73. We don't seem to have any bumps posted with it or I'd link.

EDIT: sheesh... once again I'm much too tired to be doing this :P

I'm awake.

NumyMufn

I have to throw this one out there as well... or it won't stop playing in my head  :roll:

http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/10

I'm awake.

Fraden

Well neither of them are it but still thank you a lot for helping out haha, I'll keep trying to figure it out myself.

NumyMufn

I'm awake.

NumyMufn

Don't be afraid to say what's wrong with the stuff I throw out there  :lol: I'm hoping one of the guys who actually listen to this kinda stuff will pop in and venture a guess... too slow, too fast, too chill, too dirty, ...
really, anything that comes to mind  :wink:

Also, apparently only used twice in 2005 if the ASMB is any indication (and frankly the search feature sucks over there) but "Bloody War" by David Banner

I'm awake.

Fraden

Naw that stuff is too gangster rap.

The song I'm looking for is more chill something that madlib, J-dilla, or Nujabes would have put out.

I know it's a string instrument and it sounds like it's a ukulele with reverb/echo on it.