Main Menu

Media

Started by crab, May 21, 2012, 01:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crab

Reminder:  Our only official media and communication outlets are our Facebook and Twitter pages.

A lot of time and hard work has gone into making our site the place to find Adult Swim bumps.  While we are flattered that credit is being given where due, we do not particularly appreciate our media being ripped off and re-posted to other sites such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc.  Therefore, we are sorry to say we have disabled all video downloads for the time being.

Dont Haunt Me

Sh*t, my bad. I realize I've uploaded 3 bumps to youtube in hopes someone could identify the song featured on all 3, (Still no luck  :-() and up until now I never mentioned where I got the bumps.

Like I said, I've added the source (Bumpworthy) to all the video descriptions. But if that's not enough I supposed I could delete them all entirely. :cry:
It don't matter, none'a this matters.

mongo

It's not you, man. I (personally) don't mind it if it's one bump for a song ID. However, we've been having problems with other visitors that steal all our stuff and generate channels based entirely on our content, and that's something we're not okay with.
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

sithlord999

To this day I still feel bad about sort of starting these YouTube problems for you guys. I was about 14 years old when I did the bulk of those uploads and I had absolutely no idea that it was going to blow up as much as it did. Really sorry if it caused you guys a lot of problems. That was never the intention.

Last I heard from the staff here, I was told that it'd be okay if they were left up, but I shouldn't upload any more. However, if you'd ever like me to remove them, let me know. :)

Athias

These things are bound to happen with the internet. Personally, I think most bump lovers know where the content originated from, and in no way diminishes the hard work you guys put in making these bumps available. I believe, though, that there are  a few remedies/options going forward:

1. Continue as is, and grant viewable access to the bumps only on bumpworthy.

2. Code the downloads so only existing and new members can download bumps.

3. Return to what it was like before and put up a disclaimer that the bumps are not to be distributed or hosted through any other site.

I think most people would prefer option 3 but wouldn't mind option 2, too much. My gripe is with option 1, which I can understand, but no offense, bumpworthy isn't really about bumpworthy. It's about adult swim bumps (old and new) and bring together bump lovers. Continuing as is, will in a way preserve the hard work put into these bumps to bumpworthy, but that's all it will do.

Then again, I'm sure I don't know 100% of what's going on, or if the current circumstances are indefinite. I just thought I'd put it out there.

NumyMufn

I do not believe disclosing the details would be in our best interest  :| Discussion has been lengthy and is ongoing... it's a complicated situation. I don't think any of us wanted this, but something had to give. Hopefully a preferable solution will present itself.

You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

Laughingboy69

Hmm... I noticed that Toonami Digital Arsenal was having the EXACT same problems with another YouTuber I used to follow until I realized the stolen material. But that's what you come to expect when you have the Internet and YouTube.
I do Let's Plays now.

Athias

So, I guess after a month of indecision, downloads will remain disabled, indefinitely. That really is unfortunate, I did like coming to this site and downloading [as] bumps.

mongo

The only response we've received was the two comments, and a bunch of our stuff getting ripped off again, so I'd say most people are okay with it. That doesn't mean we've come to a decision, however; just an observation.
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

Athias

Quote from: mongo on June 23, 2012, 03:28:04 PM
The only response we've received was the two comments, and a bunch of our stuff getting ripped off again, so I'd say most people are okay with it. That doesn't mean we've come to a decision, however; just an observation.

That's what is a cause for concern. That [your] indecision after a considerable amount of time will lead to a sense of complacency. And as you pointed out, mongo, even with downloads disabled, you guys have been ripped off again. And I think most people are, or will have to be okay with the present circumstances, since in the larger scheme of things, they aren't involved in the decision making--which isn't lost on me.

I won't get into a whole debate over piracy, but I will say that as long as a binary digit's natural function is to be copied, there's nothing anyone can do about their stuff getting copied on the internet. All I wish to do is offer some perspective on the current approach. If the piracy of your material affects the way you guys conduct this site, do business, and stops people from visiting your site, then I can somewhat understand why you disabled all video downloads. But, if video downloads are disabled in demonstration of bumpworthy's opposition to piracy--which I sort of suspect, then that I don't understand.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think your stuff should be hosted on channels of youtube, vimeo, etc., but I do think that there's a better approach. The way you can fight the piracy of your material (or even piracy in general) is to stand out and stay ahead of the curve. I personally liked this site from the beginning because not only could you download video and audio, you can view the bumps on the site itself, you had information on the song and artist, dates when aired, referrals to album purchases, access to high-res wallpapers, if available, and a forum to discuss bumps and even create your own custom bumps. Not to mention, you guys have a simple and streamline template and you also put an effort into making your downloads safe. To me that's what made you guys stand out, and never felt the need to look at bumps on youtube or any other digital hosting site.

Disabling downloads only takes away one of the things that made you stand out. If you guys just wanna be the only ones offering bumps online, you can't and wouldn't be able to sustain that for long, with or without your material getting ripped off. For better or worse, the only ones this current approach targets are your dedicated visitors. I can't call myself dedicated since my work only allows me to visit this site occasionally, but I do like the site, as well as the community (I didn't forget the Tokyo Bumps, mongo!) so I do hope you guys get back to what you do best. Sorry for the essay.

NumyMufn

Quote from: Athias on June 23, 2012, 07:23:04 PM

If the piracy of your material affects the way you guys conduct this site, do business, and stops people from visiting your site, then I can somewhat understand why you disabled all video downloads. But, if video downloads are disabled in demonstration of bumpworthy's opposition to piracy--which I sort of suspect, then that I don't understand.

No, you actually had it right the first time. We are fully aware of the grey area we dance in, it's the reason we are so very strict about certain things in the forum. We do not wish to give the impression of impropriety. A number of fan sites exist in that same grey area, but exhibit the proper respect due the creators of which they are fans and win some measure of approval that affords them a small bit of protection from the legal risks. And there ARE risks. We've worked very hard to make this one of those places worthy of preservation. Maybe saying it's hard work isn't enough ~ there are literally thousands of hours invested in this endeavor. MANY thousands... Another misconception is that this is 'free' ~ it's just recorded TV, right? Well, this is absolutely NOT free for us to present...  and diverting traffic away from this site has a direct impact on the quality and quantity of what we can provide.

I'm awake.

Athias

Quote from: NumyMufn on June 24, 2012, 03:05:28 AM
Quote from: Athias on June 23, 2012, 07:23:04 PM

If the piracy of your material affects the way you guys conduct this site, do business, and stops people from visiting your site, then I can somewhat understand why you disabled all video downloads. But, if video downloads are disabled in demonstration of bumpworthy's opposition to piracy--which I sort of suspect, then that I don't understand.

No, you actually had it right the first time. We are fully aware of the grey area we dance in, it's the reason we are so very strict about certain things in the forum. We do not wish to give the impression of impropriety. A number of fan sites exist in that same grey area, but exhibit the proper respect due the creators of which they are fans and win some measure of approval that affords them a small bit of protection from the legal risks. And there ARE risks. We've worked very hard to make this one of those places worthy of preservation. Maybe saying it's hard work isn't enough ~ there are literally thousands of hours invested in this endeavor. MANY thousands... Another misconception is that this is 'free' ~ it's just recorded TV, right? Well, this is absolutely NOT free for us to present...  and diverting traffic away from this site has a direct impact on the quality and quantity of what we can provide.

All the more reason to be as open as you can as to what can/should be done. I won't urge you to state more as I now understand the predicament you're in. Your stuff being ripped off can be a matter of asymmetric information. Most visitors may think this to be a free fansite and saw no "real" harm in hosting your material  elsewhere. Chances are they didn't know what they were doing was wrong. And of course, there are going to be those douchebags who just don't care.

All I'm saying is that the fact that you guys offer digital material online, will always subject you to being ripped off. That's true for adultswim.com, asfdotcom.net, toonamidigitalarsenal, and yes, even bumpworthy. Being ripped off should be factored into the equation, not out of it. Because, ultimately, imposing restrictions will also divert traffic away from this site and affect the quality and quantity of what you can provide.

NumyMufn

You seem to be the only one so upset about this... for what reason could that be? Personally I don't appreciate the bullying attitude; attempting to turn my words back on me. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you really think we don't know all of that?

Fortunately, I don't control this site... because I'd flip the switch on the whole thing and walk away. We cannot and do not claim exclusive right to the content itself, the world can get it and do what they will at their own risk ~ but it doesn't have to be at my expense.

I'm awake.

Dont Haunt Me

WE SHOULD CHARGE $1.00 PER BUMP DOWNLOAD!

I'm sorry, I'll go back into lurking. :cry:
It don't matter, none'a this matters.

NumyMufn

Please don't kid about that  :cry: that's exactly the sort of thing that would shut us down in a hurry.

I'm awake.