Main Menu

Media

Started by crab, May 21, 2012, 01:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vegeta87952

well, it sucks that you guys shut down downloads for now.  not that i don't understand why, it just sucks.  i remember getting a lot of the really old adult swim pool era bumps here.  hope you guys work everything out.

Laughingboy69

Quote from: Athias on June 24, 2012, 02:05:13 PM
Quote from: NumyMufn on June 24, 2012, 03:05:28 AM
Quote from: Athias on June 23, 2012, 07:23:04 PM
Quote from: NumyMufn on June 24, 2012, 04:16:59 PM

If the piracy of your material affects the way you guys conduct this site, do business, and stops people from visiting your site, then I can somewhat understand why you disabled all video downloads. But, if video downloads are disabled in demonstration of bumpworthy's opposition to piracy--which I sort of suspect, then that I don't understand.

No, you actually had it right the first time. We are fully aware of the grey area we dance in, it's the reason we are so very strict about certain things in the forum. We do not wish to give the impression of impropriety. A number of fan sites exist in that same grey area, but exhibit the proper respect due the creators of which they are fans and win some measure of approval that affords them a small bit of protection from the legal risks. And there ARE risks. We've worked very hard to make this one of those places worthy of preservation. Maybe saying it's hard work isn't enough ~ there are literally thousands of hours invested in this endeavor. MANY thousands... Another misconception is that this is 'free' ~ it's just recorded TV, right? Well, this is absolutely NOT free for us to present...  and diverting traffic away from this site has a direct impact on the quality and quantity of what we can provide.

All the more reason to be as open as you can as to what can/should be done. I won't urge you to state more as I now understand the predicament you're in. Your stuff being ripped off can be a matter of asymmetric information. Most visitors may think this to be a free fansite and saw no "real" harm in hosting your material  elsewhere. Chances are they didn't know what they were doing was wrong. And of course, there are going to be those douchebags who just don't care.

All I'm saying is that the fact that you guys offer digital material online, will always subject you to being ripped off. That's true for adultswim.com, asfdotcom.net, toonamidigitalarsenal, and yes, even bumpworthy. Being ripped off should be factored into the equation, not out of it. Because, ultimately, imposing restrictions will also divert traffic away from this site and affect the quality and quantity of what you can provide.

You seem to be the only one so upset about this... for what reason could that be? Personally I don't appreciate the bullying attitude; attempting to turn my words back on me. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you really think we don't know all of that?

Fortunately, I don't control this site... because I'd flip the switch on the whole thing and walk away. We cannot and do not claim exclusive right to the content itself, the world can get it and do what they will at their own risk ~ but it doesn't have to be at my expense.

Hmm... Should someone's opinion on this message board really be relevant if they've only made 21 posts and has "amateur" as their tag? It's like a born-again Christian telling Jesus he's doing it wrong.

Bumpworthy: We're not douchebags... Honest.
I do Let's Plays now.

NumyMufn

Quote from: Laughingboy69 on June 24, 2012, 11:48:49 PM

:-D  :lol:  :-D

Thanks, LB, I needed that  :-D
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

Laughingboy69

Quote from: NumyMufn on June 25, 2012, 12:14:19 AM
Quote from: Laughingboy69 on June 24, 2012, 11:48:49 PM

:-D  :lol:  :-D

Thanks, LB, I needed that  :-D

And I meant every word of it.
I do Let's Plays now.

Athias

Quote from: NumyMufn on June 24, 2012, 04:16:59 PM
You seem to be the only one so upset about this... for what reason could that be? Personally I don't appreciate the bullying attitude; attempting to turn my words back on me. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you really think we don't know all of that?

Fortunately, I don't control this site... because I'd flip the switch on the whole thing and walk away. We cannot and do not claim exclusive right to the content itself, the world can get it and do what they will at their own risk ~ but it doesn't have to be at my expense.

I'm not upset, I'm just eager. I wouldn't reduce myself to insulting someone I don't know nor would I make personal comments, so I don't understand how I'm being a bully. I've stayed on topic, have I not? I'm intimately familiar will with copyright protections and laws, economics, and the functions of the internet (which is part of the work that keeps me away so much, which is why I'm only an "amateur" with 21 posts--that was meant for Laughingboy69). I'm not trying to flame, I'm only arguing a dimension to the current circumstances, on what I thought was a relevant thread. My argument isn't against you NumyMufn, it's against the current circumstances. I'm just the only non-staff member willing to make an input.

However, if my arguments aren't welcomed and potentially insulting to any member or members of this site, then I have no problem not posting, anymore. Consider this my final comment on the topic.

Jeff

For what it's worth, I've been a regular here since 2007, don't mind in the least that downloads have been disabled, and will keep coming back.  Thanks again for your enormous efforts preserving the bumps.  Athias, you seem impassioned and well-spoken, and I'm sure people would appreciate future positive forum contributions, but you must know it's always presumptuous to argue rules in someone else's back yard.  NumyMufn, I hope you weren't serious when you said you'd flip the switch and walk away.

NumyMufn

Just big words from someone who doesn't have access to the Big Red Button  :roll:

I apologize for getting emotional, my extreme frustration got the best of me. You'll notice just two posts later I didn't want to get shut down. But then, taking a break with a choice is a lot different than being forced to close the doors forever. Walking away from what I've poured eight years of my life into wouldn't be easy, and having dealt with several bouts of 'burnout' I've learned it's a lot easier to 'keep up' than 'catch up.' Unfortunately the current state of affairs has been particularly de-motivating  :oops:  However, just saying I could walk away actually took quite a load off... today has been better. Even had a happy moment this afternoon while going through last nights bumps  :-)
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

droxpopuli

I know I'm just some random new user, but I made an account just to post how the download restriction makes me sad. I was planning on downloading several bumps to use on my HTPC so I could simulate adult swim channels. Needless to say, I'm pretty sad now.

Korso

Do you keep post any of the user submitted bumps that they air?