Main Menu

Adult Swim Anime Lineup

Started by King John XII, March 17, 2012, 12:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan D.

Blasphemer!!! :-o  :lol:  Evangelion not good!? :-o  You are full of surprises in this thread Ms. Nummy. :lol:  That is on my list of top ten things that I never thought I'd hear you say.  Especially when your personality on this board reminds me a lot of Misato Katsuragi, for some reason.  I'm a ridiculously big fan of EVA.  It was probably the AWESOME promos by A.S. that pulled me in initially, with that great production music. 

The main problem, I think, with watching the A.S. run of Evangelion is that once again, there's not a real ending.  It wasn't meant to be the ending.  It wraps up with "Death & Rebirth", two films, the first recapping the series, the second concluding it.  Now, their making great rebuilds.  I own everything on DVD.  You have to start from the beginning (EVA Platinum Collection)  and watch the concluding films in order to really appreciate the rebuilds, in my opinion. 

For me, that anime is just so real, subtle, personal/intimate.  It really takes a deep look inside of people, deciding whether or not you want to act or simply lay down and die, lost love, etc.  It's like watching some new wave animation from the 80's with killer music (reminding me a lot of European art film or Asian cinema).  It's a whole other parallel universe from ours, based on the "Lilith" thing, from one of the actual apocrypha books, not included in the Bible.  The idea is what if Lilith had been real, being replaced by Eve, and now Lilith's descendants (angels) are back to fight for the place of being dominate being  on the Earth.   That's not important though.  It's the well written character developments that make it special and re-latable.   

Glad to hear that you liked Tri-Gun, NM.  I won't hesitate to pick up the series now.  I just remember this really hip guy with a giant gun-cross walking in some underground tunnel area and thinking this is great!  There's a guy in a red jacket too.  I know! :wink:
"The dawn is your enemy."

Daikun

Quote from: NumyMufn on March 21, 2012, 04:39:03 PM[is 'anime' a real word yet? would the acceptable plural be 'anime' ? 'animes' ? animi  :lol: ]

I'm pretty sure "anime" has always been a real word. It has existed for decades in the Japanese language; its use in English just seems more recent.

Anime is both singular AND plural.

NumyMufn

Quote from: Daikun on March 22, 2012, 05:32:08 PM
I'm pretty sure "anime" has always been a real word. It has existed for decades in the Japanese language; its use in English just seems more recent.
"Always" is a long time, and no it hasn't "always" ~ perhaps what we need to define is "real word" ... I knew I shouldn't have brought it up  :roll: I concede it's been some time since I looked it up (probably 7-9 years) but the only authoritative definition I could find at that time was of the French word, the existence of which had nothing to do with Japan. My reason for looking it up had to do with a self-proclaimed purist's argument that to qualify as anime it had to be a top-to-bottom 100% Japanese production, which of course disqualifies any English dub. Since then I generally deferred to the term "action" when discussing just so I could avoid any backlash. In the absence of definitive proof I had no intention of challenging anyone on it. Again, I shouldn't have brought it up, let alone made light of it. My mistake... I was only entertaining myself.  :cry:

Soooo.... looking it up today I see the etymology** is still somewhat ambiguous, so we're relying on accepted usage which to me isn't good enough (i.e. 'real.') I have come to terms with the fluidity of language being a fact of life, but I still don't like it  :-P I grew up in a house being told to "speak the King's English" even though there hasn't been an English king in my lifetime.  :roll:  In the real world, if enough people do it 'wrong' it becomes 'correct' ~ true story.

Quote from: Ryan D. on March 22, 2012, 04:49:48 PM
Blasphemer!!! :-o  :lol:  Evangelion not good!? :-o  You are full of surprises in this thread Ms. Nummy. :lol:  That is on my list of top ten things that I never thought I'd hear you say. 

You still haven't ~ I said I was bored  :lol: :wink: For you, maybe I'll try again. I still have the DVDs including the two movies.

Quote**etymology of anime
Random House:
Origin:
1985–90; < Japanese,  borrowing of English animation

Collins English Dictionary:
[C20: from Japanese]

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper :
c.1985, Japanese for "animation," a term that seems to have arisen in the 1970s, apparently based on Fr. animé "animated, lively, roused," from the same root as animate. Probably taken into Japanese from a phrase such as dessin animé "cartoon," lit. "animated design," with the adjective abstracted or mistaken, due to its position, as a noun. Manga (q.v.) is Japanese for "comic book, graphic novel," but anime largely are based on manga and until 1970s, anime were known in Japan as manga eiga or "TV manga." The two terms are somewhat confused in English.

This last is from a confessed amateur with too much time on his hands. A man after my own heart, liberally sprinkling qualifiers ("seems to," "apparently," "probably") throughout his assessment.
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.