Main Menu

Old one: acapella jazz with ATHF

Started by jamesbenjamin, March 04, 2012, 05:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesbenjamin

So years ago I caught a bump that was some sort of acapella jazz song (think Bobby McFerrin) over shots of Aqua Team Hunger Force (though it might have been a generic one with more than one show, but ATHF sticks out in my mind). That song has been popping into my head ever since and I've never been able to find it or figure out what it is. Its not even that its that great of a song, its just this 10 second snippet of upbeat jazzy music that gets STUCK IN MY HEAD every now and again AND IT MAKES ME WANT TO PULL MY BRAIN OUT OF MY EARS. I really need to know what this is so I can satiate my curiosity and hopefully get the damn song out of my head.

What I know:
At least 3-4 years old, possibly as far back as 10.
its really catchy
upbeat jazz acapella (again, think Bobby Mcferrin, but its not him)
it seems to be in 4/4 with a repeating pattern starting high, going down 5 quick notes, then up three slower ones, then down 5 from there, then up 3 from the new bottom, etc.

PLEASE HELP, even if you just think you know the artist, I can scour their songs online myself.

NumyMufn

Okay, I'm willing to have a go at this... if you wouldn't mind humoring me for 'alf a mo' :)

The only thing that comes to mind is a promo, there was a really popular request for one from ATHF. I also ran through a few Generals and found another possibility, if you wouldn't mind checking them out. Neither is technically a cappella but let's make sure your brain isn't playing tricks on you  ;) ... and if neither of them check out perhaps you could run through a few more. At the very least it might jar some other details that you could share with me. Images, for example, could help pin down a time frame.

If you could, please, go to asfdotcom.net On the left side of the page, click 'Downloads' ~ at the top of the 'Comedy' column click 'Adult Swim General' - it's a long page so you may want to Ctrl+F search for "Feb-Mar 2005 Lineup Promo" or scroll about 4/5ths of the way down the page. It's a picture of Carl with no skin in Frylock's bedroom.

For the second one, back out to the Comedy column and click on 'Aqua Teen Hunger Force' and search for 'Badabada Promo' about 3/4ths of the way down the page.

Feel free to tell me what's wrong with those, and anything else you may remember. You never know what might spark someone else's memory :)
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

jamesbenjamin

You know what, I'm pretty sure it's the second one that I saw. The tune I was humming in my head was the instrumental bit and over the years it must have just merged into an accapella thing. But now I have that song! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

NumyMufn

LOTS of people asked about that second one :D It is a library track so it's not available to the public for purchase or download. It's called "La Samba De St Germain" from the AX's album 'Cheesy Listening' and you can listen to it online: http://www.sakuranotes.jp/Music106363.html
In the States, licensing can be negotiated with APMmusic.com

If anyone wonders about the other, (I picked it because it was more 'a cappella-y,' and in fact there is an a cappella version) I believe it was also used in a Robot Chicken promo... also a library track available from APM called "Movie Break" from the CPM (formerly Carlin) album 'Kitsch - Light & Easy / Cheesy'

I have a direct link but these tend to be a bit iffy
http://www1.playkpmmusic.com/pages/viewcd/viewcd.cfm?cdnum=3630&trackId=199445
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.