Main Menu

Bumpworthy's Search Engine

Started by Diego Gonzalez, September 30, 2010, 07:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diego Gonzalez

I think Bumpworthy's search engine could use some improvements.
It should be easier to find the bumps I'm trying to search for by just typing one word, and not necessarily the whole thing.
Have you ever suggested getting a google search engine or something? It would be very helpful.  :-P

mongo

Search works pretty good depending on what you're looking for. Like, for example, some words don't show up at all (I particularly dislike that, even though I understand why it's there... word like Against and With). The search engine could be improved, but it also could be mostly my fault since I name the bumps. If the bump's names are too similar you'll get a bunch of results. What's the particular case you're referring to (as in, which particular bump(s) and search terms? It'd help to have data like that so we could know what to tackle first. For example, searching for "Sunday" will bring up a lot of stuff because of bump names and descriptions, and pretty much put it's too broad of a search word (kinda like putting "John" on Google) to be effective. "Blots", however, will only bring the result in which it was used (kinda like putting "John Lennon" in Google to keep up with the analogy).
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

PolarLight

to my mind, you definitely need advanced search, where we could search in bump's titles OR descriptions.
still trying to find "next sunday on adult swim" bump, but can't.

NumyMufn

Quote from: PolarLight on September 30, 2010, 10:25:16 PM
to my mind, you definitely need advanced search, where we could search in bump's titles OR descriptions.
still trying to find "next sunday on adult swim" bump, but can't.
Are these the ones you're looking for?
http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/244
http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/344
You caught me at a bad time -

I'm awake.

mongo

Quote from: PolarLight on September 30, 2010, 10:25:16 PM

I am in favor of this idea, that's really good.
"For a moment, I lost my head. I was just a selfish, confused torso." - Bob Oblong

NumyMufn

An advanced search would be an easy way to add fields like "exact phrase" or "ALL these words" (I've been after that one for a long time, as opposed to 'ANY of these words' which is what it does by default)

This would also require us to be better about the descriptions. We've also discussed making the tags part of the search, which I've had mixed feelings about but with an advanced search I feel better about it.

I'm awake.

blackliquid009

I am so glad this is being brought up. It's been a minor issue for me at times, and I love the advanced search idea.
"Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either." - The Hitcher

NumyMufn

I'm always telling people it's easier to search with a guide around here, and don't be afraid to ask  :lol:

I'm awake.