Main Menu

Hi-Lands/Japanese Gum Sample Source

Started by sithlord999, May 14, 2012, 11:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sithlord999

I'm not sure if anyone can answer this question for me, but I've been SO curious about this.

There is a production track that [as] used a few times called Hi-Lands that features an electronic texture that is almost identical to one found in the track Japanese Gum by Her Space Holiday.

However, it doesn't seem that either artist sampled the other. Not only are they pitched differently, but Japanese Gum contains other ambient keyboard sounds that play over the texture, which are not heard in Hi-Lands. Also, Japanese Gum could not have sampled Hi-Lands because the version of the texture in Japanese Gum is drawn out a little longer.

So my question is: Does anyone know what the true source of this sound is? If neither of these artists sampled the other, then I'm guessing the sound would either be from a sample library or on some sort of VST instrument as a preset....Or I'm totally wrong and it's just really good sample manipulation on the part of Hi-Land's producers.

Anyway, I apologize for the long post....This is just something that's bugging me. haha 

MrHang

I'm pretty convinced that it's the same sample used in both songs.  I just tweaked a copy of Japanese Gum and got it to match exactly with the bump...sped it up slightly and increased the pitch by a teeny bit.  The overlay doesn't matter cause that's simple to accomplish with any multitrack capable software and a synth.  The Expired bump sounds like it has 4 tracks:  The sample you're talking about, the keyboard wash texture, the bass track and drum track.

Personally I'm not sure of what might make that sound, but apparently it's a widely used sample which mostly likely means it comes from a built in synth library like the kind you get when you buy a new Korg :) Here are a couple examples:

Joaquim Oliva - Saudade

Amos Moses - Key Of Dreams  <-- hit  the green "play now" button

Mindless Faith - I Don't Like The Drugs  <--- start at 1:54...the rest of the song is crap

Hope that helps a bit! :)

sithlord999

Thanks for your response! :D

Interesting to see other tracks with this sample as well. It sounds to me like all three of them have taken it directly from Japanese Gum and changed the pitch, but of course, I could be wrong. The version used in Hi-Lands seems the most unique to my ears, which is why I'm wondering if everyone is just sampling Japanese Gum or if this sound has a different source.

Do you know the year on Hi-Lands? I didn't see one listed on the ExtremeMusic website. Japanese Gum was released in 2004.